Puzzletome Home Page Puzzletome
Discuss all aspects of the Puzzletome website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
caverider
Thy mother's name is ominous to children

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Teams Reply with quote

Although I was on a big team for PT1, i agree with the general consensus that several small teams would have made the contest more exciting.

Could i therefore make a suggestion?

maybe you could have an official procedure for registering team players -
the teamname would appear in the leaderboard instead of the individual names and all players in the team would be taken automatically to the last riddle solved by any member of the team. Clicking on a team name would give you a list of the members.

each team name could have a maximum of four or five players, and no player could be in more than one team, even if he is 'kicked out' of his original team for some reason.

There would be nothing to stop teams working together, but i think this would at least deter people gradually joining forces until there is only one serious team in the contest (which could eventually happen).

One worry is that people might not officially take part in the contest in order to help a team, but as the most likely candidates to form a supergroup are already registered on the site, it should become clear if people are not participating in the contest to help out a group and I think the glory of being in the winning team would be enough to make most people sign up for group or to participate individually.

the rules on one username per person and only one person per username wuld have to be adhered to/enforced in order for this to work, and i imagine the code for teams might slow the server down considerably, but it's just a suggestion.

Any thoughts?
FalconNL
Thou damned and luxurious mountain goat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one thing, you'll never be able to stop multiple people on one username. And there are probably other problems as well.

I understand the desire for more competition, but I do not think limiting it to teams so small is the way to go about it. For one, this contest would then last months since there have been a number of instances where one member in the team came up with a solution while the entire rest of the team was stuck. Reducing the maximum team size might just remove that person from the team and leave us stuck for days.

Personally, my attitude towards competition has always been that you gotta make your own, inspired by the fact that on RP1, Vraal and Strife were almost a full round ahead of anyone else. Since that problem wasn't going to solve itself, I posted a message I wanted to form a team in order to catch up with team TH. And we did. If anyone wants to directly compete with us, just from a team and do so. And there's no need to complain how we are more experienced and stuff like that. As you have all seen, we were beaten by a single man at one point (good job there Neil Very Happy) and on Potpourri of Puzzles over at HTPO the team of neil and the PT admins is basically just as fast as team Lucky 13, despite being only half it size.

Competition just doesn't arrive due to rules, it arrives due to one team actually challenging the other team. look in formula 1 for example. In the past 4 years there have been numerous changes in the rules to try and stop the ferrari team from winning. Did it help? Not a bit. Ferrari and Schumacher are as dominant as ever. This will only end once Williams or McLaren make a step forward and start beating ferrari in races.

So in conclusion, if you want more competition, form a team, solve riddles, and kick our asses, don't sit around complaining how we're in the lead.

The Evolution is coming!
Stretham
Forum Hardass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FalconNL wrote:
So in conclusion, if you want more competition, form a team, solve riddles, and kick our asses, don't sit around complaining how we're in the lead.

Err... isn't caverider on your team? Very Happy

Stretham
FalconNL
Thou damned and luxurious mountain goat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know, this was directed to the people who do moan Very Happy

The Evolution is coming!
Stretham
Forum Hardass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and while we're on the subject of teams, there is an unsolved puzzle sitting there waiting in The Code Trail (number 5). We know that the first 4 are solvable because a couple of people have done it. We know that the 5th one is solvable because we've tested it to death. Looks like you've all wimped out on it though. I challenge you all to form one big huge team and try and crack number 5 together by Easter Sunday... all 1000 odd of you... and you can even have Si's and T22's help! No chance! Razz

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!! 8)

Stretham
bazza
Thy mother's name is ominous to children

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stretham wrote:
I challenge you all to form one big huge team and try and crack number 5 together by Easter Sunday... all 1000 odd of you... and you can even have Si's and T22's help! No chance! Razz

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!! 8)

Stretham

LOL Surprised

I've already spent about a million hours on the first cipher without any breakthrough ... Crying or Very sad
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: