Puzzletome Home Page Puzzletome
Discuss all aspects of the Puzzletome website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titanium22
your chamber lye breeds fleas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Mini-contests Reply with quote

I'd like to pick your brains on this.

So far, we have had mini-contests consisting of 22 puzzles (Colouring book), Back To Basics: Section 10 (with 25 puzzles) and Alphabet Set (with 27 puzzles) - plus a few very short ones such as Treasure Trail and Code Trail, and a contest devised by one of our members (Series Series by ASA with 20 puzzles).

Several members have indicated that they prefer mini-contests to major contests that take weeks rather than days to complete.

Well, we will still produce major contests with upwards of a hundred puzzles and with a range of difficulty that spans from really easy to very complex - so watch out for PT2.

But we also want to please our general membership, and I think that mini-contests may be the way forward on this. So what I'd like to know is the following:-

1. In an ideal world, would you rather compete in a major contest such as PT1, PT2 etc or in a mini-contest?

2. What range of difficulty do you want to see in a mini-contest? A range from easy to moderate? From easy to hard?

3. How many puzzles would you like to see in a mini-contest? Is the range of (say) between 20 and 30 about right?

4. Would you rather see a mini-contest based round a single theme such as colours - although there are many different methodologies used in the puzzles - or a more general spread of puzzles embracing a wide range of different topics/themes...?

I had thought that I would run a poll to assess what is most popular, but there are too many variables - so feedback in this thread would be very much appreciated.

T22
**pantalaimon**
O ho monster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the mini puzzles, as the end is always in sight, rather than the major ones which go on for much longer and I find hard to fit around the school holidays.

I personally think about 30 questions ranging from easy to hard ( with not too many hard ones!) is about right and would welcome both puzzles based on a single theme and a wide range.
Scoots
Thy mother's name is ominous to children

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the mini-ones, even though I'm currently stuck on the Alphabet set Very Happy FWIW, my answers to your questions are:

1) I don't consider myself to 'compete' in any of them, but prefer the mini contests
2) Easy to moderate sounds good to me but I accept that there are lots of more talented puzzlers around who probably want 'hard'...
3) Yes, 20 - 30 sounds about right
4) Don't mind either way

Smile
SparkPlug
Because I can

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need our fix of, say, 300 questions per annum !

The form they take - whether it be 3 major contests of 100 questions, 12 mini contests of 25 questions, or a combination of both - is not important.

Equally, themed or not themed is not so important - so long as the methodology varies and a themed contest does not comprise entirely of eg:morse (cough, round 5, cough).

There is an additional balance that needs to be considered: the gap between contests.

On the one hand, the PT site has built a community which is most notable on the forum (unlike PD where most people feel they cannot post) and it needs active contests to keep that community thriving...

... however, on the other hand, for people like... say... er... my brother - who is a complete addict and a compulsive/obsessive - the time between contests gives them the opportunity to do all the things (like eat & sleep!) that are just forgotten about when in puzzling mode.
theandygrant
This is the foul fiend Flibbertigibbet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I like being able to finish contests so I'd say shorter contest for that reason (not that I've finished any yet! ). But I like the long contest too.

The trouble with the shorter ones is that they tend to be a bit like just doing round 4 on a long contest. So although they're shorter, they're also harder, and still take me weeks (or, ok, months Embarassed ) to finish

The forum on here is lovely. The people are all very friendly and nurturing.

The odd themed contest where the methodology is the same is ok, but it should be shorter, say 10 questions that are all wordsearch based, as more could get tedious.

I'd also like to request a puzzle where the answer is tangerine. It's a much underused word Smile
Titanium22
your chamber lye breeds fleas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theandygrant wrote:
I'd also like to request a puzzle where the answer is tangerine. It's a much underused word Smile

Ask and you shall get...! Smile But you'll have to work out which puzzle in which contest it is... Razz

T22
Carootje
He hath a half face

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-contests Reply with quote

Titanium22 wrote:

1. In an ideal world, would you rather compete in a major contest such as PT1, PT2 etc or in a mini-contest?

2. What range of difficulty do you want to see in a mini-contest? A range from easy to moderate? From easy to hard?

3. How many puzzles would you like to see in a mini-contest? Is the range of (say) between 20 and 30 about right?

4. Would you rather see a mini-contest based round a single theme such as colours - although there are many different methodologies used in the puzzles - or a more general spread of puzzles embracing a wide range of different topics/themes...?

Hi,

first of all I have to say I like this site very much Thumbs up
Great layout, well organized, love the stats and all.

1. I dont think I'm a real competioner, I just like puzzling and can't do with a little nudge now and then. But I enjoyed all the contests Very Happy
2. Easy to moderate is the way I like it, but I know there are more people on the planet.
3. Think 20-30 is a nice number of puzzles to solve for the mini-contests.
4. The alphabetset, seriesseries and the colouring book were really fun to work on, I think I like it when the puzzles are round a theme.

Caroline
theandygrant
This is the foul fiend Flibbertigibbet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought...

with several mini contests if I get stuck on one question, I can go and work on a different one and let the back of my brain work on it.
This afternoon I went back to the colouring book and got it straight away (no... no applause please... it was only question 1 Embarassed )

Hopefully, I'll now go and find similar inspiration on the Alphabet...Smile
mistermickster
Thou detestable maw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Here's my opinion on this for what it's worth. Smile

This is a great site that I have been hooked on since finding it in February of this year, along with (dare I say it) PuzzleDonkey.

I'm no expert puzzler, but I think in general that the puzzles on here are, (I'll not say harder), more challenging than on PD. I have completed PD1 & PD2 and almost finished PD3, where as I'm only on round 3 of PT1 and still on round 1 of PT2 and finding them quite tough. Embarassed

I also like the mini contests, which PD doesn't offer, as they bring a little light relief to the major contests.

I'm currently deep in investigation with Paul Trigger but have completed, Treasure Hunt, Colouring Book and Alphabet Set, which themselves were challenging contests.

So in answer to T22's questions:-

1. I think you need both to get a balance.
2. Easy to moderate would make them more appealing to me.
3. I would like to see around the 20 mark, as I think any more would turn it into a major contest.
4. I prefer themes for mini contests and a general spread of topics for the major contests.

Keep up the good work everybody. Thumbs up
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: