Puzzletome Home Page Puzzletome
Discuss all aspects of the Puzzletome website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinandjulia
Thy mother's name is ominous to children

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: calling out for a Hero/Heroine Reply with quote

just a thought in this ever more competitive world of riddling- how about somewhere to nominate your Knight in shining armour, or your Florence Nightingale for that matter. There are times when you cry out for help on the Forum & either no-one answers or you get a thoroughly unhelpful response. Why not have somewhere to nominate the person that took time out to help, hint or simply steer you to the answer. perhaps it will encourage more people to help, & so get more people to cross that magical finishing line, not just get stuck on some meaningless question somewhere along the way
jojo the joyful
O ho monster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.
new (ish) here & just browsing the forums as diversionary tactics against
PT1.2.17

I am fairly new to puzzling, first got hooked on PD3 which I did finally complete.

I am pants at puzzleing really & rely heavily on forum imput, not for answers but where to start. Its all part of my learning curve. Time will tell if it is paying off.

If I can't understand the puzzle even when solved I will stay on it until I have it fathomed.

The Back to basics too have been an excellent source of inspiration
This forum is great. People offer to be PM'd & it feels like a community.

My Knight in shining armour is Father Christmas & whether he likes it or not I see him as a mentor LOL.

Only twice I have asked for help. It is never an answer, but always pointing to the error of my ways, but more to the point, I am given encouragement.

I see by reading messages there are many others like him too.

PS are the stats important? My answering is (like my OU grades) very irratic depending on whether the answer hits home ot not. Appologies for making some of them rediculously high but it does make some of you look amzingly brilliant 8)

Thanks for a great site

Joanne
xyphic
Forum git

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joanne, thanks for your kind comments! It's fair to say that we all started puzzling somewhere and none of us could just simply sit down and solve puzzles. I'm glad that you are finding Back to Basics a useful resource - and I'm also glad that you're sticking with it!

As you've rightfully pointed out the community we have here is amazing - even when there are no contests on the go, there are a hardcore of members who are more than willing to help out others (either through open posts or through PM).

In retrospect, PT1 was a lot harder than we thought it would be and much kudos goes to anyone (especially those without a strong puzzling background) who gets through it.

The stats aren't particularly important, though they give you an idea if you are in the right ballpark. They are also useful to us when creating new puzzles because we can see which ones took the most time/guesses to complete and analyse why that was.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: