Puzzletome Home Page Puzzletome
Discuss all aspects of the Puzzletome website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xyphic
Forum git

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Possible site layout Reply with quote

I created a site design for my homepage well over a year ago now, and it may be of use as a potential site layout.

I've uploaded a copy here:

http://www.puzzletome.com/site_test/

or (if the domain hasn't propagated yet) here:

http://62.149.35.170/~puzzleto/site_test/

The "large" view is probably the most usable, though if we wanted a news page or something, we could use the small view too.

Let me know what you think!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stretham
Forum Hardass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know, I agree with the overall theme. Also:

Top and bottom links on a page will want to be duplicates.
We'll need to think carefully about where to put PM, index etc. links.
Page number to be replaced by riddle number on riddles? What about other pages?
'Rounds' or 'stages' could instead be chapters.
The rules page (I assume we will have one) could be in the form of the Ten Commandments or part of the Bible (entitled The Gospel according to Saint Xyphic and Saint Stretham?).
Be nice to have our own smilies (I know that's for here rather than the site).

Will post more as I think of it.

Stretham
xyphic
Forum git

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this would be possible, but if we could have some sort of template file so that each competition (or even user) could 'theme' the website. So, for instance, you start off with the standard theme (books) and the user or competition has a set of preferences, so that if they don't like the theme they can change the graphics and layout.

In theory, seeing as all pages will be dynamically created using PHP, we could do this quite easily. I guess once we've got the site up and running and serving riddles, it's an enhancement we can add. It would certainly set us apart from most of the other riddle sites (CRN has something similar, but it doesn't let you change the whole layout).

There would have to be some clever stuff which makes sure all the required elements are present (e.g. riddle, links, ads).

Any thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stretham
Forum Hardass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case it's not clear, this thread is for any ideas at all of how you think the site should look and function (the puzzle site that is, rather than the forum for which there is a separate topic). This is your chance to get in before anything is decided. All suggestions gratefully received.

Stretham
FalconNL
Thou damned and luxurious mountain goat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm designing graphics for this site anyway, I might as well try my hand at all categories, including the riddle site. How about something like this?

It's a 3d model I made, so if you want it from a different angle or want changes (gold corners or something), let me know.

The Evolution is coming!
xyphic
Forum git

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - it may very well be of use... I guess we could use that as a basis for a logo too. Problem with using it as a site design is that it's quite a large graphic and bandwidth is our biggest concern, so small website graphics = good!

There's nothing stopping it from being linked from another server somewhere (although you then have to be sure the other server isn't likely to go down). We're planning on making each contest 'themeable' so that if required, the contest can have its own site layout.
FalconNL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way ahead of you with the logo thing, check the logo thread Very Happy I understand the big graphics problem. Just made this cos i wasn't quite happy with the current design (no offense Very Happy )

The Evolution is coming!
xyphic
Forum git

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz Took me all of an afternoon to do that layout!

All images used are 20x20 gifs.... I'm convinced I can reduce the file size of them even more by optimising the palette too...
FalconNL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the size limit for a background book like this?

The Evolution is coming!
xyphic
Forum git

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that we could have a more realistic book design, but I can't really compromise on size too much. I suggest that we chop the book up (like the current design does) so that it can be split into several small gif files.

This will mean:

1. Removing the mottled page and replacing with a single colour.

2. Cunning placement of the light so that shadows are uniform from top to bottom.

3. Possibly positioning the camera so that it's looking directly down on the book - this way it won't look strange. If you have text going in straight lines on curved pages, it will look odd.

If you have the time to come up with something like that, I will create a test page that uses it. Also, a zoomed in version of the right-hand page would be useful (for the large page layout).

Cheers!
FalconNL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean something like this? It's only 24K now.

The Evolution is coming!
Stretham
Forum Hardass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may well do the job. Although it's 24K as it stands, that can be reduced a fair bit by (as Xyphic says) chopping it up into smaller bits and tiling gifs around the edges of the book. The 'page' area would be the screen background. And we should get the benefit of caching as we'd be using the same images on each page.

Nice job Falcon. Now if we think of a winning idea for a game, can you come up with the graphics so we can make huge piles of wonga? Laughing

And Xyphic - where are those new smilies?

Stretham
xyphic
Forum git

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smilies have been added - I haven't got time to put them all in, but I've updated the old ones at least. Evil or Very Mad

Ill Confused 8)

Please don't abuse them! Wink
Stretham
Forum Hardass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test message to see what happens with new smilies when interspersed in the middle of long lines of text and make sure the displacement effect on long lines is not too annoying. (There I think this line should be long enough now Evil or Very Mad .)

More testing but this time only using one of the smaller of the new excellent fantastic wonderful exciting brilliant superb genius hand crafted works of art and most definitely unique and individual smilies. Smile

Now compare both of those to some lines that have no smilies in so you can see how the displacement due to the smilies works. If I keep writing long enough I know I'm going to get to the end of this line (at my screen resolution) so that I can check it.

Stretham
FalconNL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll try, though you'll have to tell me what a pile of wonga looks like Very Happy

The Evolution is coming!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: