Puzzletome Home Page Puzzletome
Discuss all aspects of the Puzzletome website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Revenue - what would *you* prefer?
Pop-up ads
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Banner ads
64%
 64%  [ 16 ]
Voluntary donation
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Merchandise
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Pay to play (one payment for the entire site)
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Pay to play (one payment per competition)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Pay to host your own riddle competition
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Other (please specify)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 25

xyphic
Forum git

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Possibilities for revenue Reply with quote

Everyone has a different opinion on this - so I thought I would start a poll to get an idea of how we can make this work. Obviously if we become popular, paying for hosting could start to become expensive so a way to pay for the hosting and potentially pay for prizes would be needed.

What do *you* think?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ckmcheetah
Lets meet as little as we can

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is going to pay to play when they can do it at other sites for free. I'm not sure if anyone will pay to host either, I have no money to spare for that being in college. Ads are the only logical way to go in my opinion.
xyphic
Forum git

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll pay once we destroy all the opposition... bwahahaha! Evil or Very Mad

*ahem*

Seriously, I'm of the opinion that banner ads are the way to go. As far as I can tell, there are two kinds - ones where you get paid when people click, and ones where you get paid just for hosting them.

The former pay more, but it relies on people actually clicking (and I for one don't particularly click much on the NR ones). The latter pays less, and they have reasonably high lower limits (so you have to earn at least $30 a month or so to get paid).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kate Shee
Soft and dull eyed fool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't pay to play, and I don't like popups. Get the kind of banner ad that gives you money for hosting.
Kate Shee
Soft and dull eyed fool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually... popups wouldn't be so bad because I've got the Google toolbar (blocks popups). If you can get popups that give you money just for existing, and not for how many people view/click it, that'd be good. Just everyone go get a blocker.
murphyz
Thy mother's name is ominous to children

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate pop-ups, even with my blocker...they irrrate me no end. But saying that I'm not a fan of advertising full stop and think that no banner ads should be on the site.

I do, however, favour child labour and importation - so perhaps a nice scheme trading albino children or rabbits may be given a little consideration?

Mxx
xyphic
Forum git

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, at the moment we're not planning on having any sort of revenue for the site. As long as we don't have excessive bandwidth, it should be feasible to run without having to resort to banners or pop-ups.
Titanium22
your chamber lye breeds fleas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murphyz wrote:
I hate pop-ups, even with my blocker...they irrrate me no end. But saying that I'm not a fan of advertising full stop and think that no banner ads should be on the site.

I do, however, favour child labour and importation - so perhaps a nice scheme trading albino children or rabbits may be given a little consideration?

It was Jonathan Swift (as I recall) who said he liked children but couldn't eat a whole one at a single sitting. Not sure whether he also liked rabbit, though.

T22
murphyz
Thy mother's name is ominous to children

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found rabbit to be quite appetising. It was followed by Snails and Venicen. I was on a bit of a rampage when it came to eating living things.

Mxx
FalconNL
Thou damned and luxurious mountain goat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an attempt to get this thread back on topic, I wouldn't go with anything requiring user action, ie. no ads that must be clicked, no donations and no merchandise shop. That stuff just doesn't work. Apart from that, most people block popups and ads so they don't even get a chance to click.
Forcing people to pay is even worse: people will flee from this site so fast they create a vacuum behind them.
The only way to go is to get paid for hosting ads or popups. I don't care which of those two you use, cos I have blockers for both Very Happy (for those interested, PopNot and TweakXP ad blocker, both work excellent)

The Evolution is coming!
Strife777
Thou whoreson cullionly barbermonger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask for donations if you enjoy the site...I mean, yeah...youre not going to make tons of money, but hell someone throwing 5 bucks in the coffer here and there definately has more potential than those ad thingies...
Titanium22
your chamber lye breeds fleas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strife777 wrote:
Ask for donations if you enjoy the site...I mean, yeah...youre not going to make tons of money, but hell someone throwing 5 bucks in the coffer here and there definately has more potential than those ad thingies...

Funny you should say that. I don't think I'm breaking any confidences by saying that's what we are planning to do - but any monies raised will go towards a Charity Fund to be donated to a registered charity of the winner's (or winning team's) choosing. We have already pledged to the Fund out of our own pockets, and hope to raise more.

We are funding the costs of running the site ourselves.

T22
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: