Puzzletome Home Page Puzzletome
Discuss all aspects of the Puzzletome website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a-j
O ho monster

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: pm's Reply with quote

following on from mistermickster and rosie. I believe it would be useful to be able to click on a name (perhaps even of those who are logged on) to see a list of which contests they have entered and to what point.
I agree a flag could be used to state the person does not give advice.
This would be useful to me as i tend to be doing more than one contest at once and when i finally get stumped on all i will tend to ask for help on all.
This becomes tedious to then have to go back in to each contest and find a list of names (via stats) and match them to who has done what. Smile

Last edited by a-j on Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Jappie
Base dunghill villain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know if it was already mentioned before......but I was looking at the homepage to read something about new contests coming up cause somebody told me it was there. I never saw it cause its at the bottom of the page...would it be an idea to place these type of announcements at the top of that page ?
Titanium22
your chamber lye breeds fleas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jappie wrote:
Dont know if it was already mentioned before......but I was looking at the homepage to read something about new contests coming up cause somebody told me it was there. I never saw it cause its at the bottom of the page...would it be an idea to place these type of announcements at the top of that page ?

The idea of the Home Page is to focus on what is already there, with brief descriptions of the available contests so that people know what to expect if they register to start something. The "Coming Soon" section is near the bottom just to keep people aware that there are new things in the pipeline - but obviously any new contests will be trailed here on the forum and also on the News page before they are launched.

T22
SparkPlug
Because I can

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jappie wrote:
would it be an idea to place these type of announcements at the top of that page ?

I agree - I think the home page has become too cluttered.

If it were to detail *only* forthcoming contests then, apart from looking "cleaner", it would also make these stand out.
SparkPlug
Because I can

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titanium22 wrote:
The idea of the Home Page is to focus on what is already there, with brief descriptions of the available contests so that people know what to expect if they register to start something.

The "purpose" of a home page should be to give people a *general* idea of what the site offers (and type of puzzle to expect), and to encourage them in.

It already directs visitors to where the contests are located, and it is these pages which provide the fuller details.

In the most simplistic of terms: if you have to scroll a home page, it contains too much info !
carolanne
Pestilent congregation of vapours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it was mentioned, I scrolled down the home page to see what it said, something I have never done since my first visit to PT. I think the info of the home page should be static or any new info should be at the top.
CA
carolanne
Pestilent congregation of vapours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. Great to know that there are new contests in the pipe line. Looking forward to them already.
Titanium22
your chamber lye breeds fleas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - we'll discuss a new layout for the Home Page. No promises as to changes, but we'll let you know what we decide.

T22
Jappie
Base dunghill villain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titanium22 wrote:

The idea of the Home Page is to focus on what is already there, with brief descriptions of the available contests so that people know what to expect if they register to start something. The "Coming Soon" section is near the bottom just to keep people aware that there are new things in the pipeline - but obviously any new contests will be trailed here on the forum and also on the News page before they are launched.

T22

Hmm..."the coming soon" section sort a loses its usefulness this way I think.

I think Sparkplug has the same idea as I have on how a homepage gets to meet the readers/puzzlers needs.

I think you folks have done a wonderfull job with putting this site together so it might not be my place to suggest any new idea's BUT Razz ...without being guided to the bottom section by a teammember I wouldn't have spotted the news for a long time I'm afraid. Sad

-edit- I see youre reply was a lot faster than I could write mine :O Very Happy
Strife777
Thou whoreson cullionly barbermonger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any possibility of being able sign up for an email list of newly announced contests? I've missed the launch of a few contests due to forgetting to check Sad
Stretham
Forum Hardass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strife777 wrote:
Any possibility of being able sign up for an email list of newly announced contests? I've missed the launch of a few contests due to forgetting to check Sad

Now there's a damn fine idea. We'll have a look at it and see what we can do.

Stretham
3x7
Leave thy vain bibble-babble

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: After more than 5 years... Reply with quote

After more than 5 years it is time for another bright idea, well, kind of.
On the forum homepage I would like to see the "Mark all forums read" link in a more easily reachable position.
Because of the many forums and subforums it has really hidden itself at the bottom of a long page.

I thought nobody would mind this post in "cucumber time" as we say in Dutch.

3x7.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: