Puzzletome Home Page Puzzletome
Discuss all aspects of the Puzzletome website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stretham
Forum Hardass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: A Little Story For You... Reply with quote

Some of you will know some of this, but the ending should be new to everyone.

A couple of weeks ago, on 31st August, I moved house. (For anyone that noticed, that's why I haven't been doing as much as I normally would recently.) As is usual, we need a telephone line. A week before we moved we phoned up BT to tell them what was happening. "Ah!" they said, "we can't send out an engineer to flick a switch until 14th September." "Gits!" I thought, and sat down to wait for a couple of weeks without internet access or a landline telephone from home. Luckily, I can still do stuff from work.

Yesterday arrived, and along came Pete the BT engineer. "Ooh!" he said. "I can't reconnect you because that telegraph pole is unsafe to climb. We're going to have to come along on Monday (19th) and plant a new telegraph pole, with extra added-value super safeness. And we'll have to disconnect the phones of everyone in your street all day while we do it. Still, I'm sure all your new neighbours won't mind that it's all your fault that they'll have no phones." Well, OK, maybe he didn't say that last bit... but I thought it.

Anyway, the point of this story is that you now know why I've done bugger all on the forum recently. (Well, some of you may not have noticed... which is nice.) And also you now know why the situation will continue until at least Monday. Not that I'm holding out too much hope for that being the end of it!

And finally, for the eagle eyed among you who knew where I got my username from, yes you are correct that I no longer live in Stretham. But I have no plans to change monikker.

Stretham
Rosie Ragdoll
Drunkenness is thy best virtue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: A Little Story For You... Reply with quote

Stretham wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, on 31st August, I moved house. (For anyone that noticed, that's why I haven't been doing as much as I normally would recently.)

Yes it's been noticed and it will be good to have things back to normal on Monday assuming of course BT.....

I don't want to damped your hopes but last Christmas BT did some work which involved all the phone lines in the close being disconnected from the telegraph pole. That was fine, they did their stuff and reconnected the lines then left. Unfortunately they connected mine and a three-doors away neighbours phones to the wrong houses. On telling BT they said 'sorry but we can't get an engineer to sort that out for a week', should I be surprised that the service hasn't improved ?

Rosie
Rebecca
Thou whoreson cullionly barbermonger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel Stretham, I've had limited and intermittent net access and telephone line because I just moved house as well. It doesn't get any better on this side of the world either.
Carootje
He hath a half face

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A Little Story For You... Reply with quote

Stretham wrote:
... We're going to have to come along on Monday (19th) and plant a new telegraph pole, with extra added-value super safeness. And we'll have to disconnect the phones of everyone in your street all day while we do it. Still, I'm sure all your new neighbours won't mind that it's all your fault that they'll have no phones." Well, OK, maybe he didn't say that last bit... but I thought it.

I am very curious... how did it go today?

Caroline
Stretham
Forum Hardass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly, we now have a phone line with no further problems. Except, that is, for the fact that I am absolutely deluged with work. I haven't got round to sorting out our internet connection (and may not for a couple of days). But at least we can make phone calls now. Smile

Stretham
Carootje
He hath a half face

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up
I'm sure you will manage to get your internetconnection up and running too. Good luck!

Caro
Trenke
Thou art a very ragged Wart

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see this topic until just now (Halloween almost going live, some-one coming in a few minutes to talk about the bathroom in our new house, and not much else to do then reading the general chat Smile), but I knew what was happening. Since I have been reading more of your posts again, Stretham, I suppose everything is going right. I hope you DO have ADSL, don't you?
Anyway, just wanted to say, it's good to have you back,

Trenke
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: