Puzzletome Home Page Puzzletome
Discuss all aspects of the Puzzletome website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
witchhazel
Soft and dull eyed fool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: I am disappointed Reply with quote

I have not had much to say until now.

There are different and unusual ways of doing things that are perfectly fine. The labyrinth is an excellent example of this. DAFT is another.

Simply because "seasoned puzzler" can't see the forest for the trees is not indication that the flora and fauna are not there.

Step back, take a different approach, there just may be a surprise to be found.

I'm going back to my cauldron, it's my holiday....
Rebecca
Thou whoreson cullionly barbermonger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to avoid getting into debates on puzzle construction that don't relate specifically to something I have created, however, I feel it necessary to jump in on this one.

Firstly, I think it is wrong to use another forum to openly attack the merits of a contest held on a different site. This makes it like an "us" versus "them" mentality, something I try to avoid. I think that every site that offers puzzles and riddles and just plain distraction are great for fostering community and competitive spirit, having said that I also believe that bad criticism should be brought to light at the site the contest is held enabling everyone partaking to form their opinions good and bad. Just because your team find the contest not to their liking, doesn't mean everyone will feel the same way.

Secondly, I agree with Jwawro in that time spent on a puzzle is not an indicator of a badly created puzzle (although in some cases this rings true and I am guilty of it myself - refer the gatekeeper reference by T22). Just because the so-called "top teams" found it difficult does not make it a difficult puzzle. There are many far superior riddle solvers and makers than what we deem as the "top teams" out there. And to also note what Angiejla said "all of these are solvable as Chris solved them by herself with little or no help" - does this mean that she is far superior to the top teams? I would love to say yes, but in reality all it does say is that Chris was able to see the method(s) much clearer than you could. It is funny how you can call a contest "failed" when your stumbling blocks/brick walls were a lot less than I have seen in other contests on htpo or anywhere else.

Thirdly, don't always expect that people are going to agree on what makes a good or bad puzzle or contest. I for one think that the Clew Crew put together an exellent contest, something to be proud of. They have brought a number of new ideas to the table and also presented many tried and trusted methods. Like any contest, there is room for improvement - but this is their first outing and it will be a learning experience. When you reach the end, we will have a forum for the finishers that can discuss each and every puzzle if they so wish to give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism so that they can improve or adapt for their next contests.

Finally, (more of a personal comment). I just wish that some people would treat solving with more fun than competitiveness. I know that there will never be a contest whereby people are not going to have some competitiveness in them but i think many a time it has gotten in the way of having fun - difficulties and indirections aside.

Okay enough of my ramble. Back to my box.

Bec Coffee
SparkPlug
Because I can

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebecca wrote:
I try to avoid getting into debates...

... by posting 40,000 words into a thread which (following JWawro's post) had gone quiet.

Hehe, clever!
Stretham
Forum Hardass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone behave now, or I'm going to delete the last two days of posts.

Stretham
Rebecca
Thou whoreson cullionly barbermonger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SparkPlug wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
I try to avoid getting into debates...

... by posting 40,000 words into a thread which (following JWawro's post) had gone quiet.

Hehe, clever!

Not clever, just my 2c. And I only saw this post today when I made reply. I don't visit this place every day, the real world prevents it. Let's stop with all the innuendos Surrender

Stretham wrote:

Everyone behave now, or I'm going to delete the last two days of posts.
Stretham

It's your site. Just be fair in what you delete (which I know you will - be fair that is) Thumbs up
angiejla
Is thy name Mouldy?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother me for you to delete the last 2 days of posts starting with both mine...

Anj
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: