Puzzletome Home Page Puzzletome
Discuss all aspects of the Puzzletome website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Hello everyone Reply with quote

Just want to take this opportunity to say Hi to all. I have recently "stumbled" across this site. I am fairly new to online quizzes and after going through Qwyzzle last year I embarked on PD1, and was working on PD2 until over the Christmas period when I found I could no longer access the sites. Panic Surprised

In my thirst for some quiz action I came across Labyrinth which is where I am currently residing and in the course of working thorugh that I have come across here for the first time. I will be back!!!!!

As there seems to be so many amazing puzzlers on here (certainly judging by the puzzles they have helped create), I would like to put out a plea for your knowledge. I was set this quiz question within a Christmas quiz at work and as yet nobody has found a solution. The annoying thing is that the guy who set the quiz also does not know the answer as he was himself set it, and was hoping someone would be able to come up with it. I thank you in advance for any aid you can give.

One had 50 solid objects and the other 54. Which pair, and what were the objects? Question [/b]

Last edited by Guest on Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Si
King of Fools

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I can't help you with your riddle as yet, but welcome to Puzzletome! Very Happy
Stretham
Forum Hardass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi urfchorse and welcome to Puzzletome. I also can't help you yet, but perhaps you could give us some context with some similar puzzles (and answers) from the same quiz?

The thing that stands out for me at the moment is the fact that the numbers average 52. So something to do with the alphabet or playing cards possibly? Or maybe Roman Numerals (L and LIV)? Otherwise, there's a clear past tense to the question so maybe something from mythology?

Stretham
Titanium22
your chamber lye breeds fleas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered if it could be something like a pair of constellations (such as Ursa Minor/Major, Corona Australis/Borealis or Canis Minor/Major) where the "objects" were the stars - but even if that's the right idea, I haven't found anything with the right numbers. Confused

T22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your thoughts. I hope you do not get driven as mad by this as I have been Embarassed

I can't really put it in any more context I'm afraid because as I said, the question master only slipped this one in as it had him stumped as well and he was hoping for some inspiration from our answers! What a sneak!

I had considered constellations as well T22 but after a bit of searching I left it as I thought that some/most stars were not solid objects but gaseous?

I had considered things like international football caps (Saint & Greavsie), or awards for a famous film couple or the like but dead ends all round.
Titanium22
your chamber lye breeds fleas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

urfchorse wrote:
I had considered (...) awards for a famous film couple or the like but dead ends all round.

Have you looked at gold discs for a pair like John Lennon and Paul McCartney? I haven't found a definitive list, but the numbers sound possible...

T22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good shout T22 but all I have found is that as a solo artist JL scored 19 gold discs and 5 platinum and PM has none!

Not too sure about that Surprised
mistermickster
Thou detestable maw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

urfchorse wrote:
and PM has none!

I find it hard to believe in the 36 years since The Beatles split, that Sir Macca hasn't had a single gold record through either album or single sales.

Unless of course Heather has taken them all. Razz

And don't forget as a pair they would have had many more between them while in The Beatles.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas.

The answer has been provided by the original quizmaster now, although I must admit that even knowing the answer they were looking for, I have had trouble verifying it.

The answer they were looking for was Bonnie and Clyde and the solid objects were foreign objects removed from their bodies at their autopsies (bullets, bits of glass and the like).

Like I say, having searched the web I have not found anything that backs this up I'm afraid.

Thanks again

Thumbs up
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: