Puzzletome Home Page Puzzletome
Discuss all aspects of the Puzzletome website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titanium22
your chamber lye breeds fleas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Virus problems Reply with quote

You are probably all aware of the W32.Novarg.A@mm worm - more popularly known as Mydoom.

Unfortunately, this is slowing down a lot of internet connections at the moment and is affecting both e-mail and website access - so if you have intermittent problems trying to reach this site and get the "page cannot be found" error message, please understand that this is a net-wide problem and not specific to us. I believe that this is also likely to get much worse tomorrow, too.

For anyone who is unaware of this particular virus, there is detailed information from Norton on
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.novarg.a@mm.html - and there is similar information on other virus protection websites.

I hope you all have your virus protection software up-to-date, though...!

T22
Titanium22

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're experiencing a few intermittent outages tonight - apologies for that. The host server seems to be having problems although we are not quite sure why at the moment or whether it is related to Mydoom. We're looking into it, though.

T22
Titanium22

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest fast spreading threat seems to be the W32.Netsky virus - I've had a couple of attempted infections myself tonight although they were both safely disabled by my anti-virus protection software.

These are the details of the virus from Symantec (Norton) and McAfee - other sites have similar information.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky.m@mm.html
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=101083

But do make sure you keep your anti-virus protection up to date...

T22
stozz
Pernicious and indubitate beggar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Virus attachment Reply with quote

I don't know whether this has come up before, but...

I received an e-mail this morning from site@puzzletome.com, titled "Re: Hello" and containing joke.exe as an attachment. Sounds suspiciously like the Bagle virus: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3965721.stm.

Just thought you should know that you're sending viruses Confused
Titanium22

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Virus attachment Reply with quote

stozz wrote:
I don't know whether this has come up before, but...

I received an e-mail this morning from site@puzzletome.com, titled "Re: Hello" and containing joke.exe as an attachment. Sounds suspiciously like the Bagle virus: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3965721.stm.

Just thought you should know that you're sending viruses Confused

Thanks for letting us know. Thumbs up

I am confident that the message you received was not sent from this site at all - despite appearing to be. The Puzzletome site only generates e-mail to members to alert them to a new PM (if that is the preference set in Profile) or to notify them that they have been added to a specific usergroup - and the messages never carry attachments.

But this is a timely reminder for us all to be on our guard and ensure that our virus software is fully up to date.

T22
chantilly
A most toad spotted traitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are infected with this virus, it replicates itself, by sending an email along with an attachment, to people in your Outlook/Outlook Express address book and uses another name in your address book as the 'from' address. So in this case, it appeared to come from puzzletome but it really came from somebody else who had puzzletome in their address book (ie. anybody who opts to be notified by email when they received a PM).

Never Give Up - Keep On Playing
http://www.hadtoplayon.com
xyphic
Forum git

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some viruses use lists of email addresses that are trawled from the web (to give an authentic feel to the message), or as chantilly said from address books of infected PCs. site@puzzletome.com is the email address at the bottom of every page on the main site, but outgoing mail from us doesn't originate from the same address (site@puzzletome.com ends up in a larger admin inbox). So if anyone else *does* receive email from this address, I'd recommend deleting it immediately, especially if there are attachments.
FatherChristmas
Leave thy vain bibble-babble

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: My Place virus Reply with quote

I regret passing on some virus thing today it was sent to me and I foolishly opened it and it spread through my msn list. I cant vouch for correct way to remove it, so maybe someone better technically could post the way to remove it?FC
miss piggy
Thou whoreson cullionly barbermonger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears I was the foolish person who foolishly opened it before FC and therefore foolishly infected him - and others too Embarassed
I am sorry for any inconvenience caused to anyone on my msn contacts list and I promise never to open anything again Confused
SuperGrover
Lets meet as little as we can

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miss piggy wrote:
It appears I was the foolish person who foolishly opened it before FC and therefore foolishly infected him - and others too Embarassed
I am sorry for any inconvenience caused to anyone on my msn contacts list and I promise never to open anything again Confused

FC once wondered why I never signed up for MSN. Sad
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: