Puzzletome Home Page Puzzletome
Discuss all aspects of the Puzzletome website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jxg1984
Soft and dull eyed fool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Puzzle, don't know where to start Reply with quote

Hi, new to this forum, please excuse any faux pas. I was referred to Puzzletome through the BBC news site, where there is a puzzle set each week by a contributor to this site.

So far, I've managed to work out most of the puzzles without having to look at the solutions, my weakness being the wordplay/language based puzzles. There was one in particular which I couldn't work out, and I didn't even understand what the objective was, or how to go about achieving it. The worst thing being that the answer was posted, without detailing how it was derived, argh!

Would it be OK if I posted it here so that people could enlighten me on how to go about tackling it?

Many thanks.
Stretham
Forum Hardass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.

Yes that's no problem. In fact several of us have probably not only seen it but helped Si to playtest it. Smile

Stretham
Titanium22
your chamber lye breeds fleas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Puzzle, don't know where to start Reply with quote

jxg1984 wrote:
Would it be OK if I posted it here so that people could enlighten me on how to go about tackling it?

Welcome to the PT site - you'll find lots to keep you busy here if you enjoy puzzling ...LOL! Very Happy

Following on from Stretham's post, by all means post here on one of Si's puzzles that you haven't understood. I suspect that he would not mind if you mentioned the puzzle in question here and asked for help - but bear in mind that we moderate these forums very tightly, so we reserve the right to edit and/or delete anything you post.

T22
jxg1984
Soft and dull eyed fool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thank you very much... I'm not a habitual puzzler I'm afraid, and these are actually my first attempts at puzzling, so forgive me for asking silly questions...

I've just had a look at the "Back to Basics" page, which was very helpful indeed, especially helping me with the "cryptic clues" puzzles, which is my weakest point. Here is Si's question:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A French Connection?
Who is somewhat topically missing from the passage below?

"Which brand would you like?" asked the salesman.
"Has to be CK", Hamish replied.
"Calvin Klein? Good choice."
"How much do I owe now?"
"£10 for the lamp - Arden & Co. let me practically give it away! £25 for the aftershave and 15p for the biro - one young chap bought 50 the other day would you believe!"
"Back in Galloway, they are just 10p."
"That is nothing but an evil legend!"
"How dare you! I'd like to speak to your manager, R. Arden, is he around?"
"He's not in yet, the roads can be quite a jam, especially at this time of day."
"Get him to call me. Here's my contact number at the camp", bellowed Hamish.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the answer was "Scholes"; Even though I went through the Back to Basics page, I'm afraid that I still just don't know where to start, so pointers would be much appreciated, many thanks!
Si
King of Fools

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jxg1984!

May I also extend the welcome to Puzzletome Thumbs up

The puzzle you refer to was the very first one. I have since made a request to the BBC to put a short explanation alongside the answer each week, so hopefully this will not happen again.

To point you in the right direction I have highlighted a fragment from the second line of the text:
jxg1984 wrote:
"Has to be CK", Hamish replied."

The title refers back to a certain game in Euro2004... Wink

Hope that helps,
Si
jxg1984
Soft and dull eyed fool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Si! That's very helpful, I can get a handle on it now...

Also enjoy very much the contributions made at the Magazine (esp the numbers ones!)... my weekly mental detox Smile
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: